Wednesday, April 1, 2009

I used to rule the world....

Have you guys read Isaiah 13-24 yet?

Does anybody else think that Coldplay's "Viva La Vida" would be the perfect soundtrack to this section? As I read, I couldn't help but hear the song in my head, especially the first 3 verses:

I used to rule the world
Seas would rise when I gave the word
Now in the morning I sleep alone
Sweep the streets I used to own

I used to roll the dice
Feel the fear in my enemy's eyes
Listen as the crowd would sing
"Now the old king is dead! Long live the king!"

One minute I held the key
Next the walls were closed on me
And I discovered that my castles stand
Upon pillars of salt and pillars of sand


After reading this portion of scripture, it's amazing to me that anyone (look up open-theism) could question God's sovereignty over human history.

I'd recommend reading the whole portion at once, and also reading chapter 25 so you can rest in God's goodness, and see the beauty of his redemptive purposes after all of that judgement and carnage.

3 comments:

  1. Check out my post on Viva La Vida

    http://stevelutz.wordpress.com/2008/05/13/whats-coldplay-getting-at-in-viva-la-vida/

    ReplyDelete
  2. We're actually reading Isaiah 24-39 this week (at least I am). This section summarizes Isaiah 13-23 pretty well so didn't think we needed to cover that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oops....guess I skimmed that last Missio Dei email a little too quickly. Well, at least I read the whole section quick so that I can catch up with the rest of the team tomorrow. Well actually I have read 25 and 26, which are awesome! Sorry about that Y'all, but I do have to tell you that when I started reading chapter 13 and 14 it felt really laborsome, and I wanted to skip it, but like a good TV show, it sucked me in, and I actually got some cool stuff out of it. Essentially it is about God's judgement on a a number of nations. It would be really interesting to do some research and see which of the prophesies concerning those nations have already come true, and which are yet to come. It seemed to me that some of the things have happened already, but maybe some haven't...like Damascus is still a city. Anyway, "all scripture is God breathed" so if you get done 24-39, and still want more, go back and read 13-23.

    ReplyDelete